Saturday, December 19, 2009

'Out! allergy no Rinse cat and kitten shampoo': does it help?

My mom has become very allergic to my cat, and we were wondering whether this helped anyone else.


My cat is not a long hair, but we have carpets and the fur probably has accumulated quite a bit contributing to the problem. We had the carpets cleaned and she still has a rash. 'Out! allergy no Rinse cat and kitten shampoo': does it help?
I've never tried that particular brand, but daily brushing would probably be more effective than any shampoo. I'd suggest calling your vet; calls are free and it would probably take less than 5 minutes. Ask if the brand is any good, and if the vet isn't familiar with it read the ingredients so you know it's safe. Your vet might be able to recommend something better.





My roommate is allergic. If I brush my cat for about 15 minutes daily, she doesn't have any problems... But if I go out of town and the cat doesn't get brushed for a few days, her allergies get really bad. Plus, cats love to be brushed so it's a fun way to bond.





Other things that help are daily dusting and vacuuming (remember: dust first, so the dust/fur falls to the floor, then vacuum everything up). Vacuum the sofa, too. Remember to wipe down the random places your kitty likes to play, like the windowsill. Washing curtains will also help.





I'm not sure how your home is set up, but maybe you could get an adjustable ';baby gate'; to keep the cat from going upstairs to your mom's bedroom? Then if it goes upstairs, it's kept (and carried) into your room, not snoozing in front of her door.





Good luck, I hope some of these ideas help and your mom is rash-free soon. If her allergies are only skin related, maybe prescription cream or hydrocortizone cream would help?'Out! allergy no Rinse cat and kitten shampoo': does it help?
I haven't tried Out!, but I use Allerpet which I think is a similar product, and it does help. I know when I haven't given my cat a rinse as my allergies act up a bit more.





The two most important things to do are keep the cat out of her bedroom and vacuum the house frequently. Making the bedroom a cat-free zone gives her a place to go for her system to recover from the attack of the allergens. Vacuuming, along with using a cat rinse, helps to reduce the level of allergens in the house.





The attached link lists some other things you can do. Your mom may want to consider trying Claritin or Allegra to help with her allergy symptoms too.






wash the cat at least once a week and give it a good comb once a day my cat is a short hair and it still has a lot of fur loss no matter what everyone tells you a cat can be washed you live with it so you are breathing in the hair
I never tried that but a product called Nature's Miracle works great for me. You just dampen the fur with it about once a week, can also be used on linens and furniture..

No comments:

Post a Comment